which is the best compilator in windows for dcmtk ?

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

focus

which is the best compilator in windows for dcmtk ?

#1 Post by focus »

Hello!!

Until now we have been developing with linux, using kdvevelop. Now we will try to do a version for windows, of our program, and my doubt, is which is the best compilator for dcmtk in widows, o which do you recommend me ? Visual Studio 2005 ? or Visual Studio 2003? Borland?

Thanks for your help

focus

#2 Post by focus »

Another doubt, I have been studying Visual Studio 2005 Express? Somebody uses it with dcmtk? It's a good Visual Studio version for develope? or it's better to uses the full Visual Studio 2005?

Marco Eichelberg
OFFIS DICOM Team
OFFIS DICOM Team

#3 Post by Marco Eichelberg »

As a matter of policy, our team cannot recommend a specific product. That said, the two compiler platforms that our team currently uses to work with DCMTK on Windows are Visual Studio 6 and Visual Studio 2003. I expect the latter to be replaced by VS 2005 rather soon, and we have made sure that DCMTK 3.5.4 fully compiles under this version. All these compilers support the C++ features needed by DCMTK reasonably well, so this is probably more a matter of choice or preference. With regard to the Borland Builder, support is somewhat limited because we do not have access to this tool in our lab. There are a few users that are apparently using DCMTK with this platform, but this may require more adaptation work, and I have also heard about difficulties with heap fragmentation due to the memory allocation strategy used by DCMTK specifically when used with Borland C++. However, this is something I cannot confirm to have observed personally.

focus

When dcmtk 3.5.4 will be ready for VS 2005 ?

#4 Post by focus »

Thanks Marco for your help. The last question is when do you believe that dcmtk 3.5.4 will be ready for VS 2005. The reason is that we are studying to use VS 2005 C++ express, because it's a free version, It costs 0 €, and this is a good point, in the other hand it's microsoft, but this doesn't worry me much.

If dcmtk will be ready in few weeks for VS 2005 I suppose that we will wait for It.

Thanks Marco, and all you are doing a very good job with dcmtk!!

vyrus

#5 Post by vyrus »

I am using VS.net 2003 currently for DCMTK

Marco Eichelberg
OFFIS DICOM Team
OFFIS DICOM Team

#6 Post by Marco Eichelberg »

DCMTK 3.5.4 is ready for use with VS 2005, we already used that for our cross-platform tests before releasing 3.5.4, so there is nothing to wait for. Whether or not the free VS express edition is sufficient to compile DCMTK I cannot say, if somebody has experience with that please post here.