Printing Annotations

Questions regarding the DCMPRINT library, a DCMTK add-on that implements a DICOM Print Management SCP and SCU

Moderator: Moderator Team

olipoopo

Printing Annotations

#1 Post by olipoopo »

Hi

i have a sony df 550 printer and im using tcpprt
i have two problems

1. I can only print with annotations using customs annotations in the cfg file.
2. The annotations comes up really small and they are not readable.

How can i change the font and increase the font size.

P.S

printing with other software like eFilm, the annotations are fine .

Thank you

Marco Eichelberg
OFFIS DICOM Team
OFFIS DICOM Team

#2 Post by Marco Eichelberg »

How can i change the font and increase the font size
You cannot - at least not on the client side. The print client only sends a single string to the server called the "Annotation Display Format ID". The print server selects the number, location and size of the annotations based on that string, which is totally proprietary and typically documented in the printer's DICOM conformance statement.

Most applications like eFilm do not use the DICOM Basic Annotation Box SOP Class at all - they render all text into the image bitmap on client side and send the pre-formatted bitmap to the printer.

While DCMPRINT will allow you to send such pre-formatted images to the printer, it does not contain any code to do the text rendering into a bitmap. You would have to use a library such as the Freetype library to do this, and it will involve some application programming, i.e. it will not work with the default "tcpprt" binary, which is mostly a demonstrator of the underlying library functionality.

olipoopo

How can i change the Annotation Display Format ID

#3 Post by olipoopo »

How can i change the Annotation Display Format ID?

this is the dicom conformance

Annotation
Display Format ID
(2010,0030) U/U CS “FORMAT6L”
“FORMAT6M”
“FORMAT6S”
“FORMAT4L”
“FORMAT4M”
“FORMAT4S”
“FORMAT2L”
“FORMAT2M”
“FORMAT2S”

Marco Eichelberg
OFFIS DICOM Team
OFFIS DICOM Team

#4 Post by Marco Eichelberg »

Annotation Display Format IDs can be defined in the configuration file with which tcpprt is run. See the example tcpprt.cfg provided with DCMPRINT.
There is a section named [[[ANNOTATIONS]]] where you have to define a subsection for each annotation layout (of the printer) you want to support. You can then define a default text for each annotation box for that format.
Furthermore, if you are using tcpprt with the --auto or -a command line option, for each --auto layout you can define the annotation display format ID to be used in the [[[CLIENT]]] section of the configuration file, in the [Page] subsection. Look for "Annotation =" in the sample configuration file.