Print for ECGs?

Questions regarding the DCMPRINT library, a DCMTK add-on that implements a DICOM Print Management SCP and SCU

Moderator: Moderator Team

DavidWeisgerber

Print for ECGs?

#1 Post by DavidWeisgerber »

Hello everyone,
I have got a simple question to all of those who know about DICOM Print and what it supports: Does DICOM Print support ECG Waveform print? We have a customer request who would like to have this as an option but I am not sure if this makes any sense.

Thanks for your comments,
David

Jörg Riesmeier
ICSMED DICOM Services
ICSMED DICOM Services

#2 Post by Jörg Riesmeier »

DICOM Basic Print Management requires a pre-formatted bitmap, so you first have to convert the signal data (ECG Waveform) to a bitmap.
By the way, the same applies to SR documents - DICOM Basic Print Management is only defined for images/bitmaps.

DavidWeisgerber

#3 Post by DavidWeisgerber »

So at the end, if used in a practical way, does it make sense to have an application which prints ECGs (by converting it to DICOM Print bitmaps) this way? I would guess that DICOM print is used in radiology because they are using special film printers. ECGs can be printed on standard desktop printers because they do not need special color depths?!

Jörg Riesmeier
ICSMED DICOM Services
ICSMED DICOM Services

#4 Post by Jörg Riesmeier »

Basically, I would agree. However, if the customer really wants to use the DICOM print protocol for this purpose, this would of course be possible (as I wrote in my previous posting). A use case could be that the department has a DICOM paper printer that should also be used for ECG printouts.