Print true-size

Questions regarding the DCMPRINT library, a DCMTK add-on that implements a DICOM Print Management SCP and SCU

Moderator: Moderator Team

wenchao

Print true-size

#1 Post by wenchao »

Hi,

I am trying to print cropped images to either Kodak, or Fuji printer at true-size. I believe I need to send the RequestedImageSize tag the printer. For an image with pixelspacing of 0.125mm, and columns of 1420, I am sending RequestedImageSize of 178. But on Kodak, the image came out zoomed to fit the film, while Kodak doesn't print at all. I was wondering if there is any other tags that need to be set in addition to RequestedImageSize. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

--Wenchao--

Marco Eichelberg
OFFIS DICOM Team
OFFIS DICOM Team

#2 Post by Marco Eichelberg »

The requested image size of 178 (mm width) is correct. However, please note that Requested Image Size is an optional attribute and not every printer will support it - printers may completely ignore the attribute or reject the N-SET message when the attribute is present. Check the conformance statement of the printer to see whether or not true size printing is supported. Another issue may exist when the requested size is larger than the size available in the image box on the page (which should not be the case here if your image is printed with a STANDARD\1,1 layout) - DICOM does not prescribe a specific behavior of the printer in this case, and a printer might just ignore the attribute in that case or produce a weird printout.

wenchao

#3 Post by wenchao »

I think I found where the problem is. By setting RequestedSize in the cfg file (tcpprt.cfg), the print scu (tcpprt.cc) sends a seperate N-SET command of BasicGrayscaleImageBox for the RequesteImageSize tag, instead of sending the tag with the other mandatory ones (ie. BasicGrayscaleImageSequence). As a result, the printers either rejects the N-SET or ignors it.

After modified both psvauto.cc and psvmib.cc, so that the RequestedImageSize tag is sent with all other BasicGrayscaleImageBox tags in a single N-SET, I can now print true-size images to Kodak, Agfa, and Fuji printers. I can post the code if anyone interested.

Thanks.

--Wenchao--

Marco Eichelberg
OFFIS DICOM Team
OFFIS DICOM Team

#4 Post by Marco Eichelberg »

After modified both psvauto.cc and psvmib.cc, so that the RequestedImageSize tag is sent with all other BasicGrayscaleImageBox tags in a single N-SET, I can now print true-size images to Kodak, Agfa, and Fuji printers. I can post the code if anyone interested.
Yes, please do.

athli

#5 Post by athli »

I would like to achieve true size printing in Osirix. Osirix use dcmprint, apparently version 3.5.4 so I was wondering if I have any change to achieve this by adding RequestedSize or I will have same problem as wenchao. Was posted bugfix for this issue? Unfortunately I can't investigate source code in printdicom, because it's not freely available and Osirix use dynamic library.

Thanks for any feedback.

Jarda