Some question on DCMJP2K modules

Questions regarding the DCMJP2K library, a DCMTK add-on that implements support for JPEG 2000 compression (lossy and lossless) in DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

Roger_MDC

Some question on DCMJP2K modules

#1 Post by Roger_MDC »

Hi dear OFFIS fellows:

My company is using DCMTK as their product backbone, thanks to your effort it's a stable and useful library; As you people all know well that market requirement is shifting from JPEG to JPEG2000, our company decided to adopt JPEG2000 into our product too. The first choice is, of course, DCMJP2K. In order to make our purchase meet our requirement, sorry that I have to ask whether DCMJP2K support the following requirements (1 and 2 are from the “higher levels”, 3 and 4 are from the engineers):

1. Did DCMJP2K support JPIP? This part is much like clarification, since JPIP is in JPEG2000 standards AND DICOM standard, but I can't find any specific list about what DCMJP2K supports, and this part is an essential part to meet our requirements.
2. If yes, we also need to confirm that DCMJP2K implement progressive encoding/decoding: That is, If we receive an image from network and do live demo, we can first see the sketch of the image, and clearer as image download progressed. (note: From my personal view, DCMJP2K option –progression should do that, but they want an explicit confirm so I have to ask, apologize if this cause any disturbance)
3. During multi-frame DICOM transmission under DCMJP2K, how do we check that a specific image frame, e.g. incomplete (still transmitting) frame, has enough data to be viewed?
4. Continuation on 3, how do we refresh the pixel data of the frame?

Apologize again if some of the questions already answered before... much appreciated!

Best regards, Roger.

J. Riesmeier
DCMTK Developer

#2 Post by J. Riesmeier »

Re. 1: No, DCMJP2K does not support JPIP. This protocol is part of the JPEG 2000 standard (a different part though) and referenced by the DICOM standard, but we do not (yet) support it.

Re. 3: DICOM protocol does not support streaming. This is the reason why JPIP was introduced as a separate DICOM transfer syntax.