Second generation Dicom RT

Questions regarding the DCMRT library, a DCMTK add-on that implements support for the various DICOM Radiation Therapy (RT) IODs

Moderator: Moderator Team

IThirunarayanan

Second generation Dicom RT

#1 Post by IThirunarayanan »

Hello dcmtk team,

Are second generation dicom rt objects supported by dcmrt? e.g. RTPhysicianIntent, RTSegmentAnnotation etc.? I saw that they were in the release information with the following line "Added support for the new 2nd generation RT Storage SOP Classes that have been introduced with Supplement 175, 176 and 199". Are there specific examples for these? What are the relevant interface classes?

Thanks!

J. Riesmeier
DCMTK Developer

Re: Second generation Dicom RT

#2 Post by J. Riesmeier »

Are second generation dicom rt objects supported by dcmrt? e.g. RTPhysicianIntent, RTSegmentAnnotation etc.? I saw that they were in the release information with the following line "Added support for the new 2nd generation RT Storage SOP Classes that have been introduced with Supplement 175, 176 and 199". Are there specific examples for these? What are the relevant interface classes?
The cited line in the ANNOUNCE file says that the corresponding Storage SOP Classes have been added to the DCMTK, i.e. you can create DICOM files for these SOP Classes and store SOP Instances over the network (using C-STORE), and the data dictionary has been updated for the corresponding Supplements, but there are no ready-to-use interface classes for the underlying IODs.

I think there are multiple ways to get support for these new IODs. Here are three of them:
  • Use the approach taken for "dcmrt", i.e. generate the required C++ classes (semi-) automatically from the machine-readable DocBook/XML version of the DICOM standard.
  • Use the approach taken for "dcmect", "dcmpmap", "dcmseg" and "dcmtract", i.e. create the required C++ classes manually based on "dcmiod" and "dcmfg".
  • Use the approach taken for "dcmpstat" or "dcmsr", i.e. create the required C++ classes manually based on "dcmdata" and other lower level DCMTK modules.
All of these approaches have their pros and cons, of course.

IThirunarayanan

Re: Second generation Dicom RT

#3 Post by IThirunarayanan »

Thank you!