Tips on bulding DCMRT pre-release on Win7/Visual Studio 10

Questions regarding the DCMRT library, a DCMTK add-on that implements support for the various DICOM Radiation Therapy (RT) IODs

Moderator: Moderator Team

rmoore

Tips on bulding DCMRT pre-release on Win7/Visual Studio 10

#1 Post by rmoore »

I've been playing with DCMRT on linux for a while now and wanted to give it a try on the Win7 platform. I copied the source tree onto my windows box and ran CMake (I use version 2.8.7) on it. This created the appropriate VC project that I loaded into Visual Studio 2010. Building the solution resulted in all the libraries building with no problems but all of the apps failed to link. They had an unresolved symbol "_mainCRTStartup". After a bit of tinkering with the build parameters, I discovered that you need to turn off incremental linking to fix these.

Project->Properties->Configuration Properties->Linker->General->Enable Incremental Linking->No(/INCREMENTAL:NO)

This is probably a VS10 specific thing that the CMake config doesn't know about yet. I noticed that the release version of DCMTK doesn't have this problem.

That fixed almost all of the apps. There were still a couple that couldn't resolve the _main symbol. Some investigation showed that the source file containing the main() function was omitted from the project by CMake. I added it to the app's project with

Project->Add Existing Item...

then browse to the <module>\apps directory and select the <App Name>.cc file. Rebuild and it should be golden.

Hope this saves somebody some time and head-scratching. :)
Russ Moore
Medical Applications Programmer
University of Florida
rmoore@neurosurgery.ufl.edu

J. Riesmeier
DCMTK Developer

#2 Post by J. Riesmeier »

Thanks for the report. Which version of the DCMRT pre-release are you referring to?

rmoore

#3 Post by rmoore »

The source tree says version 3.6.1. Downloaded on 2/21/2011.
Russ Moore
University of Florida

J. Riesmeier
DCMTK Developer

#4 Post by J. Riesmeier »

This is a pretty old version. If you are using VS 2012 on a 64-bit Windows 7 system, it might be useful to update to a newer version of DCMRT (send us an email to get access to the latest source code package).

rmoore

#5 Post by rmoore »

Email is in signature. I have no secrets. :)
Russ Moore
University of Florida

lucaB

Re: Tips on bulding DCMRT pre-release on Win7/Visual Studio

#6 Post by lucaB »

Hello there,

I'm a dcmtk/dcmrt beginner, I've tried to compile dcmrt 3.6.1_20121102 on a 64-bit Windows 7 system too,
and I had problems.
I used Cmake 2.8, MinGW gcc 4.7.1 and I had the following error:

mingw32-make[2]: *** No rule to make target `x86)/mydicom/dcmtk3.6.1_src/ofstd/libsrc/ofconapp.cc)', needed by `ofstd/libsrc/CMakeFiles/ofstd.dir/ofconapp.cc.obj'. Stop.
mingw32-make[2]: Leaving directory `C:/Program Files (x86)/mydicom/dcmtk3.6.1_bin'
mingw32-make[1]: *** [ofstd/libsrc/CMakeFiles/ofstd.dir/all] Error 2
mingw32-make[1]: Leaving directory `C:/Program Files (x86)/mydicom/dcmtk3.6.1_bin'
mingw32-make: *** [all] Error 2

I would like to try the newest snapshot dcmtk version to see if the problem persits or have some
suggestions about the issue.

many thanks in advance,
Luca
email: luca.binotto@ulssvicenza.it

J. Riesmeier
DCMTK Developer

Re: Tips on bulding DCMRT pre-release on Win7/Visual Studio

#7 Post by J. Riesmeier »

Version "3.6.1_20121102" is the latest snapshot. Please note that DCMRT is now part of the DCMTK development version.