DcmTk 3.5.4, Cmake fails

Compilation and installation of DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

Vincent Daanen

DcmTk 3.5.4, Cmake fails

#1 Post by Vincent Daanen »

Hi all,

I'm trying to install dcmtk 3.5.4 on a Linux powered PC.

When I execute ccmake CMakeList.txt and hit 'c' to configure, I got the following message :
Please use GNU autoconf for Unix systems.

Is it possible to use cmake (mine is v 2.0.6) to generate the makefile ?

Thanks

Vincent

Michael Onken
DCMTK Developer

#2 Post by Michael Onken »

Hi Vincent,

with the current release (and we're not planning to change this in the nearest future), it's not possible to generate Unix/Linux Makefiles, that could be used further for compiling DCMTK. You could extend the CMakeList-files yourself to set the switches needed for GCC or another target compiler.

But I recommend using the standard way to build DCMTK using config/rootconf and configure/make to build the library. Details can be found in the INSTALL file shipping with the DCMTK source code.

Regards,
Michael :)

Vincent Daanen

#3 Post by Vincent Daanen »

Hi Mickael,

thanks for your response.

However, I try to build dcmTk 3.5.4 with autoconf tools :
* I run ./configure --prefix=/usr/GMCAO1/vdaanen-data/dcmtk-3.5.4 --enable-std-includes
* at the end of the configure process, I can read this : config.status: creating ./Makefile

but there is no Makefile in the directory !

the same pb occurs when trying ./configure --enable-std-includes

even ./configure does not create the top level makefile !

What should I do to compile dcmTk3.5.4 on a linux based PC ?

Thanks

Vincent Daanen

#4 Post by Vincent Daanen »

Ok,
seems there was a pb !

I delete the dcmtk tree and reinstall it. I then execute ./configure --prefix=... --enable-std-includes

The toplevel Makefile was created and is currently compiling

but it still strange to me why multiple execution of ./configure does not generate a Makefile every time !

Vincent

Michael Onken
DCMTK Developer

#5 Post by Michael Onken »

Hm,

did you execute rootconf in the config directory?

Regards,
Michael

Vincent Daanen

#6 Post by Vincent Daanen »

No I don't !

I read that it culd be used to remove some modules from the compilation process !

and that's not what want to do !

Vince

Marco Eichelberg
OFFIS DICOM Team
OFFIS DICOM Team

#7 Post by Marco Eichelberg »

The trick is that the top level makefile is not generated by configure, but by the rootconf script. That is because the content of the top level makefile does not depend on the results of the configure script but only on the list of modules to be compiled (there are a few modules that are not part of the public open source DCMTK that we of course need to compile internally). The rootconf script checks the list of modules in config/modules and creates a corresponding top level makefile. If you ever delete that, you need to run rootconf again, as documented in the installation instructions.

Vincent Daanen

#8 Post by Vincent Daanen »

[quote="Marco Eichelberg"]The trick is that the top level makefile is [i]not[/i] generated by configure, but by the rootconf script. That is because the content of the top level makefile does not depend on the results of the configure script but only on the list of modules to be compiled (there are a few modules that are not part of the public open source DCMTK that we of course need to compile internally). The rootconf script checks the list of modules in config/modules and creates a corresponding top level makefile. If you ever delete that, you need to run rootconf again, as documented in the installation instructions.[/quote]

Hi,

i manage to compile dcmtk for a week now;
But i can't compile my small applications (just read some Dicom File and Images).

I wrote another thread of this here [url] viewtopic.php?t=642
V