Structured Reports

All other questions regarding DICOMscope

Moderator: Moderator Team

Francis Greene

Structured Reports

#1 Post by Francis Greene »

Running unders Windows XP

We would like to develop C++ / MSVC code to send DICOM image and waveform objects up to a server for rendering in an SR.

When I click an image link in IE-rendered structured reports such as report9.html, report19.html. I get directed to a new web page such as:

http://localhost/dicom.cgi?image=1.2.84 ... 3017.0.0.0

producing a warning/error message saying:

"The page cannot be displayed"

with no image displayed. What is wrong? No doubt a server is expected but which server, what port, how to configure it, etc? Where is this information specified in mkreport.cxx?
F. Greene, Ph. D.

Jörg Riesmeier
ICSMED DICOM Services
ICSMED DICOM Services

#2 Post by Jörg Riesmeier »

This seems to be a configuration issue. Actually, the image should be opened in the DICOMscope image viewer next to the report. I guess that on your system everything that starts with "http://" is handled by IE.

Unfortunately, I cannot say how you can solve this problem since this is the first time that a problem like this is reported to us. Did you already test the application on different computers?

In case you want to change the hyperlink prefix search for HTML_HYPERLINK_PREFIX_FOR_CGI in "dcmsr/include/dcmtk/dcmsr/dsrtypes.h".

Francis Greene

#3 Post by Francis Greene »

I guess I wasn't clear, but was are not running Dicomscope in this case. Is this necessary?

Just running mkreport.exe, converting the resulting .DCM file to .HTML using dsr2html and then opening that in an Internet browser, in this case IE.

Given the URL generated by the html file everything seems normal except that the URL itselft seems to specify a local server or image which is not getting found, per:

http://localhost/dicom.cgi?image=1.2.84 ... 12629.1900

My question is, what server or servers can provide the service expected when the web page link is selected? Please tell us what you can about how this is supposed to work. E.g., must Dicomscope be running, if there is some other server that will also work fro this, etc.? What is "dicom.cgi" and how is it invoked? Is that a server or does some server invoke that?
F. Greene, Ph. D.

Marco Eichelberg
OFFIS DICOM Team
OFFIS DICOM Team

#4 Post by Marco Eichelberg »

The HTML code generated by the dsr2html tool converts references (links) to external DICOM objects that are contained in the SR document into HTTP hyperlinks in the format you have posted. The tool does nothing to ensure that there is a web server running on the system that is able to actually serve that request. The only place where the DCMTK tool-set actually uses this URL is within the DICOMscope application which uses the same routine to render an SR document to HTML and display it in a window. When a user clicks on the hyperlink, the hyperlink is actually intercepted and DICOMscope then loads the referenced image from the local DICOMscope database and displays it. If you use the HTML code outside of DICOMscope, you will have to implement something similar on your own. This could be a web-server that has access to the image database and on request converts a DICOM image into a format suitable for a web browser (such as JPEG) and returns it.