Questions regarding other OFFIS DICOM tools

Moderator: Moderator Team

chuckdawit

why use storescu.exe to send Dicoms

#1 Post by chuckdawit »

hi,
My group is sending Dicoms with
'storescu.exe -d -xi IpAddress ServerPort Directory'

I'm looking at what storescu.exe does to see if I can phase it out and just use some .NET classes to accomplish sending Dicoms.

I have a few questions:
1. Is there a specific receiver that needs to run on the receiving end?
2. can I send Dicoms to this receiving client with FTP or just with TCP/IP, HTTP, etc or some other method?
3. Is storescu.exe doing anything to the Dicom files before, during or after it sends them to the client receiving them?
4. what does the argument -xi do? In the documentation it says
"propose-implicit propose implicit VR little endian TS only" what does this mean?

Jörg Riesmeier
ICSMED DICOM Services
ICSMED DICOM Services

#2 Post by Jörg Riesmeier »

1. Is there a specific receiver that needs to run on the receiving end?
Yes, you need a DICOM Storage SCP (Service Class Provider). Btw, storescu is a DICOM Storage SCU (Service Class User).
2. can I send Dicoms to this receiving client with FTP or just with TCP/IP, HTTP, etc or some other method?
If you have DICOM files, you can also use any other general purpose protocol like ftp. Of course, the receiver also needs to support this protocol.
3. Is storescu.exe doing anything to the Dicom files before, during or after it sends them to the client receiving them?
Yes, DICOM is no ftp (or the like), i.e. the DICOM Storage Service does not transfer files but so-called datasets. Therefore, a negotiation takes place during association setup where SCU and SCP (see above) agree on a common set of services, options and transfer syntaxes to be used.
4. what does the argument -xi do? In the documentation it says
"propose-implicit propose implicit VR little endian TS only" what does this mean?
This means that a particular DICOM transfer syntax is used, i.e. a set of rules describing how to create the byte stream to be transferred.