generating new UIDs

Questions regarding other OFFIS DICOM tools

Moderator: Moderator Team

cappa1983

generating new UIDs

#1 Post by cappa1983 »

Hi All,

I have an USMF object along with its related SR objects (two). I want to use these three part-10 files as a "template" in that I want to generate new Study, Series, and SOP UIDs, to send in when needed. I understand that in the SR objects, there are "referenced SOP IDs" that reference the actual US objects, and I'm able to generate new UIDs for all the objects, but is that all that's needed for the SR objects?

Here is current thought process:
1. create a copy from these three objects
2. use DCModify.exe to generate new UIDs for the USMF object, and note those values
3. then find and overwrite those values in the two SR files

are there any other changes to the SR objects that should be taken into account as well?

thanks!

J. Riesmeier
DCMTK Developer

Re: generating new UIDs

#2 Post by J. Riesmeier »

The US image is probably referenced from the document tree of the two SR documents, so you also need to update these references. Furthermore, the image SOP instance will probably be referenced from the Current Requested Procedure Evidence Sequence (0040,A375) and possibly other Sequence Elements. There are certainly other Data Elements that need to be updated, both in the document tree and in the general DICOM header.

In any case, you should understand the entire content of the DICOM SOP Instances (and underlying IODs) that you want to update.

By the way, what is the background of your question, i.e. what is the use case?