Wavlett and DCMTK

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

scscomp

Wavlett and DCMTK

#1 Post by scscomp »

I need to store a DICOM image using storescu that is stored in wavelet format. How do I configure the custom network configuration file to send files in this format?

Marco Eichelberg
OFFIS DICOM Team
OFFIS DICOM Team

#2 Post by Marco Eichelberg »

With DCMTK 3.5.3, you cannot. Network transmission of JPEG 2000 transfer syntax is not yet supported.

scscomp

#3 Post by scscomp »

I suppose I should have been more precise. I have a file that is encoded in a proprietary wavelet format, not JPEG2000 format.

Is there a way to send a file using such a proprietary format with a private transfer syntax UID? I was hoping that I could add the private UID and description somewhere in a configuration file and make changes to the source to allow for it.

Marco Eichelberg
OFFIS DICOM Team
OFFIS DICOM Team

#4 Post by Marco Eichelberg »

Defining and using a private transfer syntax is possible, of course, but will require modifications in the DCMTK source code:
  • define the UID for the private transfer syntax in dcmdata/include/dcuid.h and adapt the corresponding implementation file in dcmdata/libsrc/dcuid.cc
  • add new transfer syntax to enum E_TransferSyntax in dcmdata/include/dcxfer.h and adapt the corresponding implementation file dcmdata/libsrc/dcxfer.cc
  • make the new transfer syntax known to the network module in dcmnet/libsrc/dimse.cc
  • adapt the association negotiation routines in the applications you are using, e.g. storescu and storescp. In the case of storescu/storescp, you can also use the configuration file facility to enable the private transfer syntax once all the other modifications described above have been implemented.