Patient DICOM file merge logic

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

helioars

Patient DICOM file merge logic

#1 Post by helioars »

I would like to get some information on how to merge the DICOM files of patients.
Scenario is as below:
I have two sets of DICOM files of same patient.
Set I : Patient ID : 10000 Patient Name: PatientA Patient Sex: M DOB:19830215
Set II: Patient ID : 10000 Patient Name: PatientA1 Patient Sex: M DOB:19830220

In the above two sets of data, Patient Name and DOB are different while the other information's i.e study, series and image data are same.

So, while merging these two sets of data, I am overwriting the patient information from Set II.
Final Merged Data : Patient ID: 10000 Patient Name: PatientA1 Patient Sex : M DOB : 19830220

So, while merging the data do i need to change the UID values (i.e Study UID, Series UID, SOP UID) of the image files present in Set I as
i have changed the header information related to patient.

J. Riesmeier
DCMTK Developer

Re: Patient DICOM file merge logic

#2 Post by J. Riesmeier »

Please have a look at the IHE Integration Profile "Patient Information Reconciliation" (PIR).

helioars

#3 Post by helioars »

Thanks for the wonderful link.

I have gone through the site, but still i could not get the information that i was seeking.

I was concerned about the UID values. As, we will merge the data of same patient, DICOM image header information's
should be updated as well. So, while updating, do we need to change the UID values.

In which sorts of operations carried out, UID values of the DICOM image file have to be changed/ create new UIDs?

J. Riesmeier
DCMTK Developer

#4 Post by J. Riesmeier »

The DICOM standard is rather vague on this: it is only expected to create a new SOP instance if the modification affects professional interpretation of the image. In case of SR documents, there are more specific requirements in the standard.

Btw, your question is not related to the DCMTK, right? So, you should better ask in the newsgroup "comp.protocols.dicom".