Assocation aborted due to network timeout in storescp

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

Luuk

Assocation aborted due to network timeout in storescp

#1 Post by Luuk »

Hi,

We are using storescp for receiving data from the PACS system. For large datasets it takes a while before the PACS starts sending after the association or after the last store-rq. This happens especially if the transfersyntax has to change from the internally stored transfer syntax. If this takes more than one minute, StoreSCP aborts the association ("I: Association Aborted").

Further investigating reveiled that the error condition becomes DUL_PEERABORTEDASSOCIATION ("Peer aborted Association (or never connected)") in this case and that this is triggered by the network receive timeout set in dul.cc (60 seconds).
So while it aborts the association itself, it seems to blame the other peer aborting the association.
Wouldn't DUL_NETWORKCLOSED be a more logical Condition (which it actually is in DUL_ReadPDVs at first)?

Is this network receive timeout not very well handled or am I missing something (that's for sure... :wink: )? Actually I would expect that an error is generated that tells that the network receive timeout is triggered.

Best regards,
Luuk

Ps. I saw I can recompile with "DISABLE_RECV_TIMEOUT" defined to prevent this issue.

Luuk

Re: Assocation aborted due to network timeout in storescp

#2 Post by Luuk »

To make it a monologue....
I see that the part that sets the network timeout has been removed from dul.cc in the snapshot version of DCMTK. Then this behaviour will not happen anymore.

Best regards,
Luuk

J. Riesmeier
DCMTK Developer

#3 Post by J. Riesmeier »

Here's the commit history of "dcmnet/libsrc/dul.cc": http://git.dcmtk.org/web?p=dcmtk.git;a= ... a0;hb=HEAD

In fact, the code fragment has been move to another part of the source code (if I was looking at the right one).

Luuk

#4 Post by Luuk »

Indeed, the code is moved. I compiled the current snapshot version (in Windows with Visual Studio 10) and see the behaviour is the same: association aborted due to timeout and a message indicating the abort is due to the other peer (at least that's how I read it).

J. Riesmeier
DCMTK Developer

#5 Post by J. Riesmeier »

Thank you for your feedback. I've just added this issue to our to-do list.

The timeout stuff in the network module is really a mess :roll: