Using dcmodify.exe and "automatic data correction"

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

dave

Using dcmodify.exe and "automatic data correction"

#1 Post by dave »

We need to change certain tag values in treatment plan files. If a tag is in a deeply nested sequence, for example, and its length is changed, will the "automatic data correction" feature adjust other tag values associated with the sequence length, if necessary?

David

Michael Onken
DCMTK Developer

#2 Post by Michael Onken »

Hi David,

what kind of "tag values associated with the sequence length" do you mean? If you think of automatic group length or item length correction, the the answer is yes. The dcmdata routines automatically recalculate such values when writing the file.

If you mean other values, please give me a hint, so I can help you.

Regards,

Michael

dave

#3 Post by dave »

Hi Michael,

Yes, I was just referring to item length and group length values. So you've answered my question. Sorry for not being more specific initially.

Thanks for responding so quickly.

David

Michael Onken
DCMTK Developer

#4 Post by Michael Onken »

No Problem:-)

I just saw, that you could have meant the explicit option "automatic data correction" from dcmodifys input options. This option (enabled per default) does some extra correction on tag values as said in dcobject.h:

/** This flags defines whether automatic correction should be applied to input
* data (e.g. stripping of padding blanks, removal of blanks in UIDs, etc).
* Default is enabled.
*/

Group lengths and stuff can be controlled additionally through "group length encoding"-, "length encoding in sequences and items"- and "data set trailing padding"-options.

Regards,
Michael

dave

#5 Post by dave »

We are using and can build DCMTK 3.5.3.
dcmodify.exe in this version does not have many of the command line flags as indicated in the current docs at <<http://support.dcmtk.org/docs/dcmodify.html>>, which I assume is about version 3.5.4. Does the old version of dcmodify.exe also support automatic recalculation of group and items lengths?

David

Marco Eichelberg
OFFIS DICOM Team
OFFIS DICOM Team

#6 Post by Marco Eichelberg »

Yes it does. Actually this is handled by the underlying DCMTK libraries which handle things like sequence and item lengths automatically and try to prevent the user from writing a DICOM file that is invalid with regard to the basic file/dataset structure.

dave

#7 Post by dave »

Thanks very much, Michael and Marco.

David