Difference in ImageStatus after processing dicom file using dcmtk library

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

George

Re: Difference in ImageStatus after processing dicom file using dcmtk library

#16 Post by George »

Hello,

Can you be nice and point me the pixel data in the dcmtk library where is it exaclty implemented and what exactly details I should know?
J. Riesmeier wrote: Mon, 2023-11-20, 13:24 by J. Riesmeier » Mon, 2023-11-20, 13:24

also please explain why the file limit is 4GB and not more. is there any way to bypass this?
The Pixel Data (7fe0,0010) Data Element has a Length Field of 32-bit, so the maximum size of uncompressed pixel data is (usually) limited to about 4.2 GB.

Only recently, CP-2083 introduced a new Transfer Syntax that encapsulates the uncompressed pixel data (similar to compressed pixel data) and, therefore, allows for encoding more than 4.2 GB of pixel in uncompressed format.
Please note, however, that the DCMTK does not yet support this new Transfer Syntax (see DCMTK issue #1000).
Can you expalin how is transfer syntax related?

Best Regards
George

J. Riesmeier
DCMTK Developer

Re: Difference in ImageStatus after processing dicom file using dcmtk library

#17 Post by J. Riesmeier »

Can you expalin how is transfer syntax related?
I thought I already explained this in my previous posting: for uncompressed pixel data (e.g. Explicit VR Little Endian Transfer Syntax), the maximum element length is limited to about 4.2 GB (due to the size of the element length field, which is 32-bit). That's why the DICOM standard introduced a new transfer syntax for uncompressed pixel data (see my previous postings).