Configuring DCMTK using CMake Utility

Compilation and installation of DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

mchilombo

Configuring DCMTK using CMake Utility

#1 Post by mchilombo »

Hi all, i'm a newbie and trying to use the basic DCMTK libraries' i know a bit of c++ programming language and teaching myself linux.I'm not a programmer in any shape or form so im limited in understanding advanced programming concepts but what i have is the enthusiasm to know how to use the DCMTK if anyone familiar is willing to assist me. 'm stuck just at the configuration step, i'm using windows os, i have Microsoft visual studio 2022 community version IDE which is which is working when i write c++ code that is it is compiling, i have dcmtk 3.6.8 and cmake downloaded onto my laptop but im getting stuck here and this the error is coming up saying"Error in configuration process , project files may be invalid" then in red at the bottom of this window it says" cmake error The source directory C:/ Program files/dcmtk toolkit/dcmtk-3.6.8-w64 dynamic bin does not appear to bcontain cmake lists.txt

Marco Eichelberg
OFFIS DICOM Team
OFFIS DICOM Team

Re: Configuring DCMTK using CMake Utility

#2 Post by Marco Eichelberg »

This information is not sufficient to provide any help. CMake certainly reports more about the source of the problem than "Error in configuration process".
First thing to check, have you installed the C++ compiler within Visual Studio? That is not installed by default. In the Visual Studio configuration, make sure that the package "Desktop development with C++" is installed.

J. Riesmeier
DCMTK Developer

#3 Post by J. Riesmeier »

it says" cmake error The source directory C:/ Program files/dcmtk toolkit/dcmtk-3.6.8-w64 dynamic bin does not appear to bcontain cmake lists.txt
It seems that you downloaded and extracted the binary package for Windows. Of course, you need the source code package of the DCMTK.

mchilombo

#4 Post by mchilombo »

Dr Eichelberg and Dr Riesmeier thank you for the response. i will try and provide more information but i just dont know what information i should provide. one thing for sure is i only downloaded the binaries of the DCMTK and not the package managers. i will delete DCMTK and download with a package manager and try and configure it again with cmake.

mchilombo

#5 Post by mchilombo »

I downloaded a master dcmtk zi file from github and when i went through the folders it had the cmakelist txt file so i started going through my folders to see what c++ compiler i had one of them was mngw32 so i selected it as where the binaries will be built, when i was asked what i was going to use to build there was mvs2022 i chose it and by stroke of luck it started building the projects. it has built about 130 dcmtk projects in mvs and they are all listed. so im stuck on what to do next. For instance if i wanted to use for a begginer like me the dcmdump how would i go about it

Marco Eichelberg
OFFIS DICOM Team
OFFIS DICOM Team

#6 Post by Marco Eichelberg »

I am sorry, Michael, but this is not really a DCMTK question. There are certainly tutorials out there how to compile things with Visual Studio. Basically, you need to start Visual Studio, open the "solution" file (.sln) and start the compiler within Visual Studio.

mchilombo

#7 Post by mchilombo »

Dr.Eichelberg, thank you for the tips as i managed to compile the dcmdump, As per hint it was an issue with visual studio. once i implemented the change it ran smoothly and compiled, what is left is follow the instructions in the cmd with the correct directory input and see what data comes out hope im on the correct path.

Marco Eichelberg
OFFIS DICOM Team
OFFIS DICOM Team

#8 Post by Marco Eichelberg »

Great to hear that it's working now :)