Release Cycle

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

honus

Release Cycle

#1 Post by honus »

Is there a release cycle for DCMTK? Any dates available?

I would like to know before installing and building any new applications.

Regards,

h

Jörg Riesmeier
ICSMED DICOM Services
ICSMED DICOM Services

#2 Post by Jörg Riesmeier »

No, there are currently no plans for a new release, even though the CHANGES file has already reached almost 2000 lines of text :-)

honus

release cyclce

#3 Post by honus »

Your response is vague. :) Who or what dictates new releases or at least a bugfix release? I find it odd nothing has changed since dec 20, 2005.

am i missing something?

h

Jörg Riesmeier
ICSMED DICOM Services
ICSMED DICOM Services

#4 Post by Jörg Riesmeier »

There is no fixed release cycle. In the last couple of years we released a new version every one or two years. This depends on our other workload. Creating a new release requires additional efforts mainly because of testing the toolkit on different platforms (see INSTALL file for a list of currently supported system / compiler / operating system combinations). And of course, we have a list of things we would like to see in the next release (e. g. bug fixes and the usual adaptations for the latest edition of the DICOM standard).

According to our experience, it doesn't seem to make too much sense to shorten the release cycle. In the medical imaging domain, many people seem to be pleased if there are not too many releases in short time. Some people still use DCMTK versions which are more than a few years old -- e. g. the good old 3.4.2 version :-)

Btw, there is a patch for the "famous" findscu/movescu bug which crept into the 3.5.4 release.

honus

#5 Post by honus »

good response. thank you.

h