Value of Planar Configuration

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

guy

Value of Planar Configuration

#1 Post by guy »

Hello, I have choosen to use a planar configuration = 0 for my secondary capture color image.

I just notice that for the Hardcopy color, the planar configuration has only one enumerated value = 1. Is it mandatory to set 1 = RRR... GGG... BBB...

If it's the case, I have to change the gestion of my hardcopy and why not store my secondary capture color with a planar configuration = 1.

Please...

Marco Eichelberg
OFFIS DICOM Team
OFFIS DICOM Team

#2 Post by Marco Eichelberg »

For Hardcopy Color images, planar configuration 1 (RRR... GGG... BBB...) is mandatory. For Secondary capture, the choice is totally up to you. You just have to make sure that in the Basic Color Image Box N-SET request that is sent by your Print SCU, the RGB image is sent with planar configuration 1, because that is absolutely a requirement there.

guy

Planar Configuration and Image Box Content Sequence

#3 Post by guy »

Ok Marco, I have changed my secondary capture and my hardcopy so that they are in planar configuration = 1.

The next problem I have is when I do the N-SET for the Basic Color Image Box during the communication with the printer, if I put planar configuration = 1 in the Image box Content Sequence, the hardcopy received by my print scp is bas whereas if I set 0, it's ok !

Can you explain the difference and the value to set in the image box content sequence for the function printscusetbasiccolorimagebox (as your printscusetimagebox).

Thanks

guy

Idem

#4 Post by guy »

I have understood the problem.
In fact, it was the function GetOutPutData which was called withtout parameter so planarConfiguration = 0 in this case.
This function is called by PrintScuSetBasicImageBox.

I've passed the third paramter with the value of 1 (so planar config = 1) and my hardcopy received by the print scp is good.

Thanks for all, and if you can just explain me how the the print scu knows if the scp supports annotation, it will be good because i don't understand the fact that the scu knows it before negotiating an association with the scp.
If you know a virtual print scp which supports annotation, I would like to test it.

Marco Eichelberg
OFFIS DICOM Team
OFFIS DICOM Team

#5 Post by Marco Eichelberg »

Support for annotations is a feature negotiated dynamically between SCU and SCP. The SCU may propose the "Basic Annotation Box SOP Class", and if the SCP accepts it (i.e. returns a valid presentation context), the SCU can use that to N-SET annotation strings.

The problem is that annotations are created as part of a page (i.e. during the Basic Film Box N-CREATE), and the only "influence" the SCU has on the annotation layout is the "Annotation Display Format ID" which is an optional parameter in that N-CREATE. The possible values for this attributes are totally printer specific, i.e. the SCU has to know them in advance, and the position of the various annotation box SOP instances created by the printer on the page is also totally printer specific.

The print server in DCMTK/DICOMscope does not support annotations, the DCMPRINT module does.