64 bit

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

markm72homeruns

64 bit

#1 Post by markm72homeruns »

Is there any plans to port the library to 64 bit?

Per

#2 Post by Per »

I run the library on 64 bit Linux without any problems so far. What problem do you encounter?

You may need to pass -fPIC to the compiler to get it to link to other programs.

Marco Eichelberg
OFFIS DICOM Team
OFFIS DICOM Team

#3 Post by Marco Eichelberg »

The library has indeed been ported to a 64 bit platform (OSF/1 on DEC Alpha) almost 10 years ago. That means that particularly stupid errors, such as typecasts from pointer to int, have been sorted out long ago. Recent versions have also been used on 64 bit Linux platforms. That does not mean that the toolkit will work without modification on each 64 bit platform, but I don't expect any major problem.

markm72homeruns

thanks

#4 Post by markm72homeruns »

Thanks for the response, I am porting it to 64 bit on Windows ans so far have not run into any problems. I have just been getting rid of warnings by doing static_cast.

Marco Eichelberg
OFFIS DICOM Team
OFFIS DICOM Team

#5 Post by Marco Eichelberg »

I have just been getting rid of warnings by doing static_cast.
Since we don't have access to a 64-bit Windows platform in your lab, it would be nice if you could make available those changes once you're done - we would then try to merge them into the main branch unless they cause problems on another platform.

markm72homeruns

Thanks

#6 Post by markm72homeruns »

Sure, I will send them to you when I have them completed.

Mitmal

And now ??

#7 Post by Mitmal »

I'm trying to developp a soft with this library but I have 64 bit Windows 7....
I download the dcmtk 3.6.0 version but I don't find the 64 bit lib tiff.... What's about it ???
Respectueusement,
MitMal

DavidWeisgerber

#8 Post by DavidWeisgerber »

I once used a 64 bit compile of DCMTK on Windows. It run perfectly....

Michael Onken
DCMTK Developer

#9 Post by Michael Onken »

Hi,

if the issues are the support libraries (libtiff, libpng, ...) we cannot offer you 64 bit pre-compiled versions of them (so far). We know that they compile with some work but we do not have something for the public.

As Daniel pointed out, you should be able to use DCMTK on 64 Bit windows without any problems if you disable the libraries you do not need (or get them compiling on 64 Bit).

First check whether you really need them for your project. Do you need TIFF export (converting DICOM images to TIFF)? I expect that you also could use BMP instead, or JPG which are both avaiable without any additional libraries. PNG export is only avalable with libpng. libxml is only needed if you want to convert XML to DICOM like xml2dcm does. If you do not need all this functionality, disable them in CMake (see CMake DCMTK compile tutorial) and compile DCMTK without them.

Best regards,
Michael

mattywix

#10 Post by mattywix »

Please could someone update this thread and advise how to compile for x64 windows when they have it figured out.

Michael Onken
DCMTK Developer

#11 Post by Michael Onken »

Hi,

use CMake to create Visual Studio files. When CMake asks you which kind of Visual Studio version compiler you like to use, choose the 64 bit variant. On my system it is called Visual Studio 10 Win64.

For Visual Studio 2010, this should be also possible if you have the free C++ Express version installed. For older Visual Studio versions, you might need the professional version, but I am not sure whether it is sometimes possible to tweak the free versions to compile for 64 bit systems.

The rest is then opening the project in Visual Studio 2010 and compile everything (ALL_BUILD target). That' it!

Michael

P.S: As my colleague reminded me, there is a problem with 3.6.0 if you enable libs like libxml or zlib. If you want to be 100% sure this works, take the current snapshot which was released after 3.6.0.

mattywix

#12 Post by mattywix »

Im using Visual Studio C++ Express 2010
I also installed the Windows7 64bit SDK SP1

However the SDK installs the Visual C++ 9.0 Compilers.
However cmake cannot find these compilers:

Code: Select all

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:2 (PROJECT):
  Cannot enable 64-bit tools with Visual Studio 2010 Express.
  Install the Microsoft Windows SDK v7.1 to get 64-bit tools:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/bb980924.aspx
Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
Ive searched the web but cannot find how to get cmake to find the compiler from the SDK!

mattywix

#13 Post by mattywix »

Aha! - the trick is to install SDK7.1 not SDK7 SP1.

I also set an entry in cmake "PlatformToolset" to value 2Windows7.1SDK", but I dont know if that was necessary