invalid stream error while dicom load

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

levomaniac

invalid stream error while dicom load

#1 Post by levomaniac »

hi,

i have a problem while doing a fileformat.loadfile(dicomfilename) when i import a 24-bit dicom multiframe image which is of size 20 mb...any idead why i get an invalid stream error????

Jörg Riesmeier
ICSMED DICOM Services
ICSMED DICOM Services

#2 Post by Jörg Riesmeier »

Usually, this indicates that the file is corrupted ... did you already try to dump the file content using dcmdump?

levomaniac

#3 Post by levomaniac »

Yes i tried to do it but the dcmdump gives the same error

Jörg Riesmeier
ICSMED DICOM Services
ICSMED DICOM Services

#4 Post by Jörg Riesmeier »

So the file is most probably corrupted :-)

levomaniac

#5 Post by levomaniac »

but the thing i was able to open these images when i open it with ezdicom and other third party viewers. but not while i use loadfile using dcmfileformat and when i use dcmdump. Can this be any other problem on which u can enlighten me?

Thanking you

Jörg Riesmeier
ICSMED DICOM Services
ICSMED DICOM Services

#6 Post by Jörg Riesmeier »

Could you make the DICOM file available to us?

levomaniac

#7 Post by levomaniac »

Thanks for helping me out. I have given below the link of the US multiframe 24 bit image

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MEJ81GM7

Thanking you

Jörg Riesmeier
ICSMED DICOM Services
ICSMED DICOM Services

#8 Post by Jörg Riesmeier »

To me it seems that at least one of the many private sequences/items is encoded in an incorrect manner. You can dump the file dcmdump if you simply ignore the errors (option +E).
but the thing i was able to open these images when i open it with ezdicom and other third party viewers
This is probably the case since the viewers you've tried do not read/parse the private data elements ...

[Addendum] Digging more deeply into the problem, I found out that at the end of the file (last item) some bytes are missing:

Code: Select all

(fffe,e000) na (Item with explicit length #=1)          #  78, 1 Item
        (7fe1,0010) LO [GEMS_Ultrasound_]                       #  30, 1 PrivateCreator
      (fffe,e00d) na (ItemDelimitationItem for re-encoding)   #   0, 0 ItemDelimitationItem
    (fffe,e0dd) na (SequenceDelimitationItem for re-encod.) #   0, 0 SequenceDelimitationItem
  (fffe,e00d) na (ItemDelimitationItem for re-encoding)   #   0, 0 ItemDelimitationItem
(fffe,e0dd) na (SequenceDelimitationItem for re-encod.) #   0, 0 SequenceDelimitationItem
The complete value of the Private Creator element should be "GEMS_Ultrasound_MovieGroup_001", i.e. 30 character as specified for this element.