Why imageDb c like?

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

razvanux

Why imageDb c like?

#1 Post by razvanux »

Hello.

I hope I will get an answer this time to what probably is a rather weird question:

is there a reason for which the imagedb is c-based (functions, structures) rather than C++ based?

I am going to hook into the image CTN a postgresql database and instead of deriving classes from a base database class, I need to rewrite the imageDB library.

Was there any failed attempt to build classes for this package?

I am looking forward for your replies.
Thank you,
Razvan

Thomas Wilkens
DCMTK Developer

#2 Post by Thomas Wilkens »

The reason why the imagectn module is coded in C rather than C++ is quite simple: the imagectn was coded in 1992/93, it is one of the first DICOM projects that were ever done by OFFIS, and it is based on other software which was also written in C.

But you are very fortunate: The next DCMTK release, which is scheduled for the end of this year, will very probably contain a re-engineered version of the imagectn module, consisting of handy C++ classes.

razvanux

#3 Post by razvanux »

Hy Thomas

Thank you for your quick reply, it's a confort. I was guessing the reason but I wanted to be sure.

Unfortunatelly I need to do this stuff _today_ so I'll jump directly into writing a base C++ class, it helps me understand the whole thing anyway.

If you don't already have the C++ implementation in work, I will provide you with my work on this.

Best regards,
Razvan.