File-Set ID

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

paolom

File-Set ID

#1 Post by paolom »

Hi..I've question...

I've read that the a File-Set ID may be associated or mapped to an
appropriate identifier at the Media Format Layer and it may be defined to be identical to a volume label.

How is possible to make this??

My goal is to check a tag or a key that can identify uniquely the media storage (for ex. CD) where the DICOMDIR and the DICOM files are stored.

Thanks

Jörg Riesmeier
ICSMED DICOM Services
ICSMED DICOM Services

#2 Post by Jörg Riesmeier »

dcmgpdir and dcmmkdir allow for the specification of the File-set ID. The same applies to the underlying C++ classes. The Volume ID of the storage medium has to be specified in the sofwtare you are using to create the ISO image or to burn the medium.

Does this answer your question?

paolom

#3 Post by paolom »

Is the File-Set ID the right Tag to insert the Volume Label of the CD that contains the DICOMDIR and the DICOM files???

Jörg Riesmeier
ICSMED DICOM Services
ICSMED DICOM Services

#4 Post by Jörg Riesmeier »

Yes. From DICOM PS 3.12-2008:
F.1.1 DICOM file-set

The ISO 9660 Standard provides a Volume Identifier in byte position 41 to 72 of the Primary Volume
Descriptor. A DICOM File-Set is defined to be one volume, and the File-Set ID shall be placed in the
Volume Identifier, starting with byte position 41. Extra bytes within the Volume Identifier shall be spaces
(20H).

The Volume Identifier for a File-Set ID consisting of zero characters shall consist of all spaces (20H).

Notes:

1. The character set for File IDs and File-set IDs (see PS 3.10) is a subset of the ISO 9660 character
set, therefore no further restrictions need to be imposed.

2. Multiple ISO 9660 File-Sets on a single volume are achievable, but this profile does not support
multiple file-sets.

paolom

#5 Post by paolom »

It means that when a DICOMDIR is stored on CD, the File-Set ID shall be written on the Volume Identifier of the CD. Is it right?

Thanks,

Paolo

Jörg Riesmeier
ICSMED DICOM Services
ICSMED DICOM Services

#6 Post by Jörg Riesmeier »

Yes, both have to be identical! Unfortunately, this is something that many vendors do not seem to know ...

tclune

#7 Post by tclune »

As I mentioned on another thread, as far as I can tell the standard has no such requirement for DVDs. It is only CDs that this is true of. However, also as far as I can tell, there is no prohibition from making the DVD volume identifier the same as the FilesetID, which is the approach that I have taken for consistency sake. FWIW.