Next dcmtk release?

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

pong

Next dcmtk release?

#1 Post by pong »

I can see from the snapshots that you have made a lot of changes since 3.5.4. When can we expect the next official release?

Are there any plans for changing the internal representation of DcmItem away from DcmList to address these problems:

* Searching has linear complexity
* DcmList only has internal 'iterator' preventing logical const methods from being declared const and complicating multihreaded access.

Thanks for providing dcmtk

Jörg Riesmeier
ICSMED DICOM Services
ICSMED DICOM Services

#2 Post by Jörg Riesmeier »

I can see from the snapshots that you have made a lot of changes since 3.5.4. When can we expect the next official release?
There is no fixed release plan yet but we hope to have a new release around the end of this year. Btw, I just made the latest snapshot available for download.
Are there any plans for changing the internal representation of DcmItem away from DcmList to address these problems
No, there are currently no plans but I agree that the current DcmList approach (which is almost 15 years old) is not optimal. I will put an item to our internal to-do list. Of course, your contributions would also be welcome :-)

pong

#3 Post by pong »

Jörg Riesmeier wrote:
Are there any plans for changing the internal representation of DcmItem away from DcmList to address these problems
No, there are currently no plans but I agree that the current DcmList approach (which is almost 15 years old) is not optimal. I will put an item to our internal to-do list. Of course, your contributions would also be welcome :-)
I'll send you a (preliminary) patch by email.

semi-newbie

#4 Post by semi-newbie »

[quote="Jörg Riesmeier"]There is no fixed release plan yet but we hope to have a new release around the end of this year. Btw, I just made the latest snapshot available for download.[/quote]

Thank you for making available a new 3.5.5 snapshot a few days ago.

What is your thinking now regarding the timing of an official dcmtk release? I am not sure if this latest snapshot should be understood as a 'beta' of a 3.5.6 that will come soon, or if it's best understood as an early version and that there might be many more changes before a 3.5.6 is eventually issued.

Jörg Riesmeier
ICSMED DICOM Services
ICSMED DICOM Services

#5 Post by Jörg Riesmeier »

As you can read in the Announcements forum, version 3.5.5 is the current snapshot, i.e. the development version that we make available from time to time. Unfortunately, there is still no (final) release plan for the next official release which will probably be version 3.6.0.

Jörg Riesmeier
ICSMED DICOM Services
ICSMED DICOM Services

#6 Post by Jörg Riesmeier »

Btw, now we have a release plan for DCMTK 3.6.0 :-)