unable to convert dataset from JPEG Lossless...Process14

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

abe

unable to convert dataset from JPEG Lossless...Process14

#1 Post by abe »

Hi all, first post here :wink:

I have been trying to use storescp (tried version 3.5.3 on Debian Linux, and 3.5.4 on Windows) to setup a SCP so I would be able to receive CT files from a toshiba CT Scanner in the hospital. Upon testing with storescu using a file manually retrived from the CT machine, I always receive the following errors:

storescu -v --aetitle sorl --call ACME_STORE localhost 104 /test.dcm -xs
Requesting Association
Association Accepted (Max Send PDV: 16372)
--------------------------
Sending file: /test.dcm
Transfer: JPEGLossless:Non-hierarchical:Process14 -> LittleEndianExplicit
Store SCU RQ: MsgID 1, (CT)
XMIT:DIMSE Warning: (sorl,ACME_STORE): sendMessage: unable to convert dataset
from 'JPEG Lossless, Non-hierarchical, Process 14' transfer syntax to 'LittleEndianExplicit'.

storescu: Store Failed, file: /home/transfer/Abe/2667L/1.2.392.200036.9116.2.2.2.1762662456.1118223896.127410.dcm:
0006:020e DIMSE Failed to send message
storescu: SCU Failed:
0006:020e DIMSE Failed to send message
Aborting Association

storescp is run as follows:
/usr/bin/storescp +xs -aet sorl --eostudy-timeout 10 --sort-conc-studies SORL_PREFIX --output-directory "/home/transfer/radiology" 104 &

I am wondering if I am missing any library on my GNU/Linux machine so the dataset convertion cannot be done. Basically I would prefer receiving JPEG Lossless compressed file from the CT machine. Any hint would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Marco Eichelberg
OFFIS DICOM Team
OFFIS DICOM Team

#2 Post by Marco Eichelberg »

The error message indicates that storescu tried to send a file in lossless JPEG transfer syntax, but the network association only allowed for uncompressed transmission. According to the command line options (-xs for storescu and +xs for storescp) this should not happen. Check that these command line options are really specified, the use the --debug option on storescu to see whether the presentation contexts with lossless transfer syntax are really proposed by storescu (and, in that case, rejected by storescp).

abe

#3 Post by abe »

Thanks Marco Eichelberg. I have tried to put in the debug option to storescu and attached is the link to the long long output ( http://pastebin.com/855666 ).

From my very limited understanding to the debug output, the first transfer index offered is:
"JPEGLossless:Non-hierarchical-1stOrderPrediction"

which "-xs" seems to do. However, what I have is:
"JPEGLossless:Non-hierarchical:Process14"
which is not found anywhere is the debug offering.

it would be great if you could kindly take a look at my debug output and suggest what further adjustment I could do. Thanks.

Marco Eichelberg
OFFIS DICOM Team
OFFIS DICOM Team

#4 Post by Marco Eichelberg »

Thanks for the log. Now I have understood the problem, which is the transfer syntax used. The DICOM standard specifies two different transfer syntaxes for lossless JPEG compression:

Code: Select all

1.2.840.10008.1.2.4.57 "JPEGLossless:Non-hierarchical:Process14"
1.2.840.10008.1.2.4.70 "JPEGLossless:Non-hierarchical-1stOrderPrediction"
In technical terms these transfer syntaxes are almost identical, the only difference being that the so-called "selection value" (which defines how the prediction is done in the DPCM encoder) is fixed to 1 by definition for the ".70" transfer syntax, whereas it can take any value (1..7) for the ".57" transfer syntax. Now, in the "real world" almost all implementations use the ".70" transfer syntax (which is the default transfer syntax for lossless JPEG compression), probably due to the fact that in certain places such as cadiac CD-Rs DICOM requires this and no other transfer syntax. Hardly anybody uses the .57 transfer syntax, although for some images it could offer a slightly better compression ratio (improvement of a few percent). The storescu and storescp tools, when used with -xs and +xs, respectively, negotiate support for the .70 transfer syntax, but not for .57! You can use the tools with the .57 transfer syntax by specifying an appropriate configuration file (see dcmnet/etc/storescp.cfg and dcmnet/etc/storescu.cfg for examples). However, it might be more sensible to actually switch to using the .70 transfer syntax, if you can, because most other DICOM systems will also refuse your images when encoded with the .57 transfer syntax.

abe

#5 Post by abe »

Thanks for your detailed explanation. If I understand it correctly, does it mean that virtually all CT Scanner(and their DICOM system) will most probably have no problem supplying DICOM images with .70 transfer syntax?

basically I just need to receive image from the CT Scanner in the hospital, so as long as their system would be able to work with .70 transfer syntax, I don't really mind using that. storescu is just the tool I use to test my storescp before I tell the technician our SCP is ready.

The image I was using is retrieved on one of their supplied commerical DICOM SCP running e-Film.

Jörg Riesmeier
ICSMED DICOM Services
ICSMED DICOM Services

#6 Post by Jörg Riesmeier »

Restoring old posting from Marco:

If the CT scanner is able to send JPEG-compressed images at all (which most of them actually do not as far as I know), then it should certainly be able to send using the .70 transfer syntax.