DCMPSMK - GSPS problem

Questions regarding other OFFIS DICOM tools

Moderator: Moderator Team

Ashutosh

DCMPSMK - GSPS problem

#1 Post by Ashutosh »

Hello,

I am trying to create a Grayscale Softcopy Presentation State Object from a Ultrasound Monochrome Image.
The US image has been zoomed in and has multiple regions (B mode + M Mode). I am using DCMPSMK to achieve the above.

My problem is: DMCPSMK creates only a "scale to fit" GSPS object and not a "True Size" one. Is there a possible approach with which I can create a True size presentation object?

thanks for your help.

Marco Eichelberg
OFFIS DICOM Team
OFFIS DICOM Team

#2 Post by Marco Eichelberg »

Is there a possible approach with which I can create a True size presentation object?
Not with the existing command line tools. You could of course use DICOMscope, which would allow you to modify a presentation state and enable True Size mode, or you could change the dcmpsmk command line tool and add an option for true size mode. The underlying API of class DVPresentationState supports True Size, so this should be rather trivial to add.

Ashutosh

#3 Post by Ashutosh »

Thanks Marco.

But what I really wanted to know was how does DCMPSMK handle ultrasound images with mulitple regions. In the DICOM presentation state object, the Displayable Area Sequence seems very confusing to me. Since in US images there is no consistent pixel spacing when there are mulitple regions. How is a US "multiple region" image supposed to be represented in a GSPS object, thats my question.

regards

Marco Eichelberg
OFFIS DICOM Team
OFFIS DICOM Team

#4 Post by Marco Eichelberg »

How is a US "multiple region" image supposed to be represented in a GSPS object, thats my question
I think I have seen a similar question posted to comp.protocols.dicom. To my knowledge the answer is: multiple regions cannot be represented in GSPS, and I would suspect that "true size" display does not work with Ultrasound images. Essentially, this is only possible for image types that use PixelSpacing (or possibly ImagerPixelSpacing) and have a uniform pixel size over the complete image.

Ashutosh

#5 Post by Ashutosh »

I think I have seen a similar question posted to comp.protocols.dicom.
Many thanks for your response Marco.

That particular query has been posted by my colleague. We were confused with the DA sequence. We were hoping that somebody would clarify our doubts.

One approach we thought was we should investigate how DCMTK handles the US objects with respect to GSPS. But no luck there either.

So, should this prompt a CP, because I am not sure how the viewers would display/handle the presenations of a US object?

regards.

Marco Eichelberg
OFFIS DICOM Team
OFFIS DICOM Team

#6 Post by Marco Eichelberg »

My impression is that GSPS have mostly been developed with CR and CT/MR in mind. There are some domains in DICOM that have always been doing things slightly different than everybody else, and that includes Ultrasound and, for example Radiotherapy. For US images with multiple regions I am not sure if a "true size display" is a meaningful concept at all.