DLL creation for DCMNet

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

razvanux

DLL creation for DCMNet

#1 Post by razvanux »

Hello...

Just a quick question... Was there any attempt to compile the dcmnet library into a DLL?

The whole FSM is statically defined there and I wonder, given prior experience I had with this, if it is possible at all to build a reliable DLL for DCMNET.

Thank you.
~~Razvan

hamlet

#2 Post by hamlet »

Maybe you could it.
I writed a atl/com include SCU function, like echoscu, findscu, storescu and movescu.
It works fine, I think.

razvanux

#3 Post by razvanux »

hamlet wrote:Maybe you could it.
I writed a atl/com include SCU function, like echoscu, findscu, storescu and movescu.
It works fine, I think.
Thanks for your reply. Have you tried running multiple SCU's at the same time?
It seems to me that the code in DCMNET is not re-entrant and that's my major concern.

~~Razvan

hamlet

#4 Post by hamlet »

yes, I try to use multiple SCUs to Q/R a server at the same time.
You could run multiple SCUs on different PCs. I think it's ok.
But maybe you would have problems to run multiple SCUs on the same time, especially you run multiple movescu (I think movescu will open network port to listen incoming data, when aother program open the same port will fail)

razvanux

#5 Post by razvanux »

The problem you describe with movescu is accurate but it can be resolved with an intervention in the movescu design, allowing it to accept multiple requests by selecting different ports. But that's anyther story, I ran into trouble while using multiple programs running storeSCU clients with StoreSCU code implemented inside a DLL which was at its turn statically linked to offis.

I am not excluding the possibility that it is my wrongdoing somewhere (I had a headscratching time when I forgot that storeSCP.exe I was using is single threaded during past test sessions and was wondering why multiple storeSCU were treated sequentially :D ) but I would like to hear from any of the OFFIS guys whether the DCMNET library can or cannot be used safely in multi-threaded environmets.
Is this the non-reentrancy of the code the reason why OFFIS comes in static libraries instead of DLLs?

Can anybody please clarify this? Is this a FAQ that I can't find? I would appreciate any hints.

hamlet

#6 Post by hamlet »

I think storescu should be ok in multi-threaded environmet. Do you try to test storescu using imagectn?
My test servers are imagectn(OFFIS), conquestServer(UCDCM). They are free.
PaceOne is another free server. But it is a little hard to set up.

razvanux

#7 Post by razvanux »

hamlet wrote:I think storescu should be ok in multi-threaded environmet. Do you try to test storescu using imagectn?
Actually, I did test it using the last free Efilm 1.5.3, after realizing the storeSCP trouble.
But that succesfull test was done _after_ separating the whole dcmnet code from any DLL I used so all the storeSCU's there were actually statically linked to dcmnet, posing absolutely no multi-threading/processing issues.

However, even if storeSCP is single threaded, there is no reason for several storeSCUs attempting to connect to it to start throwing state-machine errors.
Or is it??

~~Razvan

razvanux

#8 Post by razvanux »

razvanux wrote:
hamlet wrote:I think storescu should be ok in multi-threaded environmet. Do you try to test storescu using imagectn?
Actually, I did test it using the last free Efilm 1.5.3, after realizing the storeSCP trouble.
But that succesfull test was done _after_ separating the whole dcmnet code from any DLL I used so all the storeSCU's there were actually statically linked to dcmnet, posing absolutely no multi-threading/processing issues.

However, even if storeSCP is single threaded, there is no reason for several storeSCUs attempting to connect to it to start throwing state-machine errors.
Or is it??

~~Razvan
OK, I am answering again my own questions. I was browsing the FAQ looking for "multithreading" but when I finally got a really close and careful look at the FAQ I found what I was looking for under the "thread-safe" section at viewtopic.php?t=24.

Thanks to Hamlet for trying to help.