Doubt about: Studies, Series and Images and DicomImage

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

cazaf

Doubt about: Studies, Series and Images and DicomImage

#1 Post by cazaf »

Hi,

Using an object of class DicomImage with the file “brain_001.dcm” wich can be found in the compressed file “dicom_images.zip” available through http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/ ... tType=File . My DicomImage object reports only one frame.
I used the constructor wich receives the zero terminated string with it´s default parameters, wich should proccess all frames.
Loading the same file with eFilm(wich can be found at http://www.efilm.ca/) it reports me 3 images...it seems I am doing something wrong.
I wish to know how should I proceed in order to load a Dicom file and have access to all it´s images wich can be found in the various studies, series and frames. Can anyone point me where should I begin searching?

Thanks.
Carlos Zaffari.

Jörg Riesmeier
ICSMED DICOM Services
ICSMED DICOM Services

#2 Post by Jörg Riesmeier »

The MR images are probably stored as separate files, so you have to load them separately using the appropriate DicomImage constructor.

cazaf

#3 Post by cazaf »

Hi again,

Unfortunatelly the images are not in separeted files.
In order to verify your hipothesis I created a directory and placed there the single file "brain_001.dcm" and opended the file with eFilm.
In eFilm the "Im" button was enabled when I loaded the file and when I pressed it I could see two more images.

The source code I used for the same test was:

unsigned long nNumberOfFrames(0);
DicomImage* poNewImage(NULL);
poNewImage=new DicomImage("brain_001.dcm");
nNumberOfFrames=poNewImage->getFrameCount();
OutputDebugString("Number of frames: %d\n",nNumberOfFrames);

The result of the execution of this code was:
Number of frames: 1

Since I am using constructor "DicomImage (const char *filename, const unsigned long flags=0, const unsigned long fstart=0, const unsigned long fcount=0);", all frames should have been processed.

My question is, how can I extract the other images contained in this file as eFilm does? Should I use another class? Aren´t the image frames the supposed mean to do so?

Thank you very much once again.
Carlos Zaffari.

Jörg Riesmeier
ICSMED DICOM Services
ICSMED DICOM Services

#4 Post by Jörg Riesmeier »

Unfortunatelly the images are not in separeted files.
I verified this statement by downloading the ZIP file. My assumption was correct: the MR images are stored in separate files! I don't know how eFilm handles this but with DCMTK you have to load the DICOM images separately (file by file).

cazaf

Thanks

#5 Post by cazaf »

Thank you very much! You were absolutelly right.
eFilm fooled me by remembering from wich directories to load the files from the same studies and series. Only after uninstalling it and deleting it´s installation directory I could verify you were absolutely right.
Sorry for making all of those who read this file waste time with a newbie such as myself.