Grouping images in to same study

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

harmi

Grouping images in to same study

#1 Post by harmi »

Each time Im sending to a image to server using storescu it generates new study uid and its the primary key of the table. Is it possible to merge images in to same study or retrieve that study uid somehow?

Michael Onken
DCMTK Developer

#2 Post by Michael Onken »

Hi,

I am not sure whether I understood your problem, but here's my guess:

most probably the Study Instance UID is taken out of the images you send via storescu. Usually, you would never change this information in an image. However, you could use 'dcmdump +P StudyInstanceUID yourdicomfile.dcm' to dump out the Study Instance UID of a file and you could use 'dcmodify -m StudyInstanceUID=?.???.?????..." to modify the UID.

Regards,
Michael

harmi

#3 Post by harmi »

Don't know if I understood my problem either :) But on the server there is 1 example patient with only 1 study and only 1 series but 2 different images. How can I do that? To set multiple images to same study & same series.

Michael Onken
DCMTK Developer

#4 Post by Michael Onken »

In DICOM, the hierarchy
'patient->study->series->image' reflects in the attributes:
Patient ID->Study Instance UID->Series Instance UID->SOP Instance UID

In your example, you should set Study and Series Instance UID of the images to the same values (different values for Study and Series of course), then the images will share the same Study and same Series. You could use the dcmodify approach mentioned above to change these UID values manually.

However, it is dangerous to play around with this hierarchy in real medical patient data! You also could run into problems if the images use attributes like the "Referenced Series Sequence" referencing some of these "hierarchy" Instance UIDs - these attributes would have to adapted, too, if present.

Regards,
Michael