Dicom Video Support (MPEG2) Queries

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

raghvendra

Dicom Video Support (MPEG2) Queries

#1 Post by raghvendra »

Hi friends,

I m new to this community, and working on Development of Dicom video support. Though the Dicom standard has added to support the MPEG2 video. but I m confusing if there is any support in DCMTK to handle the MPEG2 encoded video.

I want to save an MPEG2 encoded video as dicom video/file. Which dicom object i should i shud start to store the video data into a single dicom file. i have gone throgh other MPEG related posts here but didn't find d answer.

Anyone can help or guide to dis problem. Plz help?

Regards

Jörg Riesmeier
ICSMED DICOM Services
ICSMED DICOM Services

#2 Post by Jörg Riesmeier »

The SOP class to be chosen depends on your specific requirements. DICOM provides for example data structures for various Visible Light Video IODs (endoscopic, microscopic and photographic).

The DCMTK defines the UIDs for these SOP Classes and also for the MPEG2 Transfer Syntax. However, there is currently no code available that would compress or decompress MPEG2 video data.

raghvendra

#3 Post by raghvendra »

Thnx Jorg, I hope u will keep guiding me...

I will try abt them. one more thing i want to know at dis time is, are these uid sufficient to record & store video for ultrasound nd other video producing modalities.

more over can u suggest any opensource mpeg2 coder/decoder library that can be easily used with dcmtk.

Also we have used the dcmtk version 3.5.2 and but it doesn't provide the support for video. previously we have developed a our own DLL for Dicom communication using DCMTK. now i want to update the DLL with video support. do i need to fully change all the library version to latest or is there any way with which i could just change the required sources without disturbing the current source structure. because its too cumbersome to just upgrade the whole library.

Thnx & Regards

Jörg Riesmeier
ICSMED DICOM Services
ICSMED DICOM Services

#4 Post by Jörg Riesmeier »

more over can u suggest any opensource mpeg2 coder/decoder library that can be easily used with dcmtk.
Some time ago, a student did some promising experiments with "ffmpeg" ...

Jörg Riesmeier
ICSMED DICOM Services
ICSMED DICOM Services

#5 Post by Jörg Riesmeier »

do i need to fully change all the library version to latest or is there any way with which i could just change the required sources without disturbing the current source structure.
You could try to add the required tags to the dictionary and the UIDs to dcuid.h/cc only. However, I would not recommend that ...