Planar configuration question

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

Carmelo

Planar configuration question

#1 Post by Carmelo »

Hi there,

Just a question regarding with compression and Planar Configuration:

I've recently seen that when I'm compressing and decompressing (via JPEG) a DICOM file (using the DCMTK tools for that purpose) they don't keep the initial Planar Configuration.

What I was doing is compressing it and decompressing losslessly some DICOM images with Planar Config. set to 1 to then realize that the PixelData changed. Looking carefully to the file I reached the conclusion that it was because of the Planar Configuration changes (meaning a reorganization of the PixelData values) to 0. This is, instead of sorting the color pixel data values for plane doing it for pixel.

You have this particularity controlled? Some specific reason for this behavior? To be honest I'm not sure if that's ok or just something not controlled, since the Standard says:
Planar Configuration (0028,0006) is not meaningful when a compression transfer syntax is used that involves reorganization of sample components in the compressed bit stream. In such cases, since the Attribute is required to be sent, then an appropriate value to use may be specified in the description of the Transfer Syntax in PS 3.5, though in all likelihood the value of the Attribute will be ignored by the receiving implementation.
thanks in advanced,
Carmelo
I used to have an interest in writing viral code and lost interest quickly when Win95 came out. Hell how could any of us in the scene write a more invasive program than Win95. It made us all obsolete.

Jörg Riesmeier
ICSMED DICOM Services
ICSMED DICOM Services

#2 Post by Jörg Riesmeier »

Some specific reason for this behavior?
This is just the way the decoder works. After decompression, color images are always stored "by plane".